Neighbors Helping Veteran Neighbors
Number of homeless vets declined because they died on the street
The National Center on Homelessness among Veterans recently conducted two studies relating to Aging Trends & Mortality of homeless veterans.They say “To better understand the needs and challenges encountered by older homeless Veterans.” They found that older veterans who were homeless had the lowest survival rate of any other group.
Some shocking statistics-
- About 1.56 million people, or about 0.5% of the U.S. population, used an emergency shelter or a transitional housing program between October 1, 2008 and September 30, 2009.
- 62% of homeless veterans surveyed reported having been homeless for two years or more.
- Veterans were more likely to report liver disease, heart disease, emphysema, Hepatitis C, tuberculosis, frequent frostbite, and mobility limitations.
- Older homeless veterans constitute over 20% of the homeless veteran population.
- 47,725, or about 8% of the homeless population, are veterans.